Tuesday, March 3, 2015

UTAN BISAYA

    UTAN BISAYA

Utan Bisaya or Vegetable soup is generally a mixture of whatever veggies available in the garden or in the larder. This is a Filipino dish originated in the Visayas, common to the Cebuanos especially in the provinces where vegetables are abundant. There are many variations of Utan Bisaya (pronounced as “ooh-tan bee-sah-ya”), the simplest form is a combination of three spices, garlic, onion, and ginger, and a bunch of Kamunggay Leaves. You can throw in dried salted fish for flavor or fry or grill the dried salted fish as a side dish. Utan Bisaya, steamed corn grits, and a fried or grilled dried salted fish dip in coconut vinegar will complete your simple meal, simple but very satisfying meal to the Cebuanos.


There are many if not all of the Cebuanos especially the Catmonanons can’t live without this magical soup the Utan Bisaya. The first time I set foot in NY, my Uncle proudly invited me to dine in with his Utan Bisaya, and he specifically mentioned Kamunggay Leaves. I smiled and asked myself, why should I eat Utan Bisaya, this is NY and I just arrived from the Philippines where it is plentiful. Little did I realize that Kamunggay Leaves is an imported commodity and very expensive here in US. My Dad is one of those Catmonanons who can’t live without Utan Bisaya, not a day without it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment